Dean Wilson’s family team provide an editorial for the ABC Magazine, the best read free parenting magazine in Sussex and Surrey.
Here is an extract from the Q&A in the Spring ABC Magazine.
What is in the best interests of the children?
Every situation is different so there is no one answer to this question. From my experience as a Family Solicitor I have assessed that damage to the children may be limited by following some or all of the following:-
- Inform your children jointly of the decision to separate.
- Avoid blame – emphasize that it is not their fault and that both parents love them equally.
- Inform them that their life will be different but do not give them choices – it is the parents’ job to decide.
- Make sure they realise that they are free to love each parent as before – separate your feelings from the children’s feelings – do not confuse your child by belittling or criticising the absent parent.
- Expect your child to play one parent off against the other or even to take sides – do not hold what they say against them.
- For contact arrangements – make them clear to the children and make them regular – children like routines.
Above all treat Solicitor and Court intervention as a measure of last resort. Some cases require Solicitors to negotiate on the parents’ behalf and/or the benefit of a Court Order to regulate contact but try desperately hard to sort difficulties out direct with your ex-partner. The children will benefit most if you are successful.
For the whole article on page 70 please visit https://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?eid=af0107a5-dccd-46f0-966c-c6093a1fa81b